Thursday, June 26, 2008

Versys seat modification, stopping the slide

So, as I mentioned, the Versys seat had been a problem for me. I did I a bit forum digging on the Versys NA and UK sites and decided to try raising the front of the seat where it fits into the seat mount at the base of the tank. I don't know if tsunamichop007 over at the Kawasaki Versys Enthusiast was first to attempt this, but I'm giving him the credit. To me it seemed like a natural mod, I just wasn't sure if raising the front would be enough.

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=339

So I ran out to HomeDepot and grabbed a piece of 3/16" thick steel, a couple of 6Mx35mm bolts and a bunch of 6M washers, including a couple of rubber ones. The idea is to raise the base of seat mount a bit.

Here's a before. Note the blue tank metal under the black curved bar.


Here is an after from a different angle.

The seat fits back in great and locks fine. However I noticed the helmet strap clips aren't completely covered by the now slightly raised seat. Its raining tonight so I haven't been able to take it for a spin, but it feels better. If it stops the slide, it was a mod worth doing.

The only piece I need to sort out is the seat itself has a black hard foam piece under it that keeps the battery in place. I'll just add some height to the battery so it makes contact and that will be that.

No comments: