Sunday, June 15, 2008

Getting Rolling

So this is my first post of my first real blog attempt. I'm hoping to capture my motorcycle touring adventures and any motorcycle information related to my recently acquired ride, a blue 2008 Kawasaki Versys.

Since I've owned it for just over 1 week now, I guess I'll get started by commenting on the Versys itself. I love twin cylinder motorcycle engines. They're easy and cheap to maintain, and Kawasaki has a history of engineering their twins to, with the exception of some fairing, make maintenance easy and accessible. I'm enjoying my 1st 250kms so far, but the break in period makes my opinion a bit limited. (e.g. max 4000rpm limit for 1000kms) Here are some excellent professional reviews of the Versys. The 1st of which was 1 of 2 reasons I decided on the Versys over Suzuki's V-Strom 650. The other reason was that the local Suzuki dealer stopped selling, well, Suzuki. (apparently Suzuki Canada and they didn't see eye to eye on which bikes they should push on people, like the twin turbo Hybusa on old ladies, and lost a dealer as a result)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/kawasaki-versys
http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0711_2008_kawasaki_versys/index.html
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/11october07_kawasaki2008versys.htm

I did manage to order and install some sweet farkle on my ride:
  • Hepco Becker Engine Guard
  • Kaoko Throttle Control
  • Pyramid Front Fenda Extenda
  • Xena Disc Lock Alarm XR1
Also on the slow boat from Italy I've got the following items back ordered:
  • Givi Monorack
  • Givi V46 Tail Case
  • Givi Touring Windscreen
I already had a Oxford sport tank bag, 14L fully open I believe.

To be honest there is little more I'll likely be looking into for touring needs. Naturally I'll have to settle on some pannier cases. I found the Kawasaki (Givi made) factory panniers got in the way of my foot when I threw my leg over so I'm not totally sold on hard mounted panniers.

However, one huge word of caution regarding hard case luggage.

The Kawasaki factory panniers are a custom job by Givi for Kawasaki. Currently (though I've heard some people have made something work) you can't use a tail rack, at least from Givi, with the Kawasaki pannier rack in place. The pannier mount replaces the passenger seat grab bars and sort of screws up the mount points where the Givi Monorack and other tail case rack makers would attach.

Because of my leg to pannier concern I decided to go with the Givi Monorack 1st. Givi makes 2 different pannier racks that will work with the Monorack on the Versys. So you can always add panniers if you have the Monorack, but it's tougher to go from panniers to the Monorack. (or any tail rack)

Anyways, more pics and descriptions of my more interesting bits of farkle and travel planning to follow. I'm hoping that my travels will help others looking to tacking bits on their Versys, or simply planning for some long rides for the 1st time. (seeing that I've never owned a bike that I could even think of touring with)

No comments: