Thursday, June 26, 2008

First month honeymoon on a Versys

So I hit my one month ownership mark, and thanks to a week of rain and a sudden flu that lasted over a week, I've only managed just over 320km. I will say that the early vibration and roughness are all gone. This twin cylinder 649cc engine is awesome! Yes, yes, I can't really break 4,000rpm for any length of time, but its so damned smooth and the exhaust note is great. I would only ever consider an aftermarket exhaust to shed some weight and hopefully experience a performance gain. Also, my shins seem to have adapted to the taller ride and foot peg position. That first week was brutal, I still have bruises from the pegs nailing my legs, but I haven't hit them since.

Finally, the transmission was impossible to get into neutral for the first 200kms. I stalled it a couple of times at a long red light and had a hard time getting it started again when the light turned green because it would not kick into neutral. I had to hop off and push it a bit for the gears to turn over. I have not had a problem since, which is really thankful. It was ruining my new bike afterglow.

Only nagging complaint? The front of the seat slopes forward too much from the back. When I decelerate my whole body slides forward a bit. Its just enough that I have to adjust myself back a bit. This effort really adds up, before you know it your arms are tired from keeping yourself in place and your leg hair is all pulled out from sliding around.

I've got a plan though.

No comments: